Wednesday, February 8, 2012

To My CHD Son's Future Wife

Dear Pierson's Wife,

Every time I stroke that sweet little soft blonde hair and look in to those bright blue eyes I thank God for saving our son. This disease takes so many but Pierson has been saved. I know that one of the reasons his life has been spared is you. We came so close to losing your husband when he was just 3 years old. I know that God has big things planned for our son, your husband. He's only three and a half right now but he has been used by the Lord so much already. He's had to work harder to do things that many kids his age didn't have to try hard to do, but we just count those things as accomplishments and know that these experiences are shaping him in to the man that you will love.

When you rub your hand across the faded scar from his heart surgery, remember how God has already provided for you by creating and saving this man to be your husband. Be reminded that we are all fearfully and wonderfully made and that no part of these bodies He has given us are coincidental or an accident, rather precisely made to glorify God. We serve a big God who is the same today, yesterday and forever.

We have so many hopes and prayers for Pierson. Our first prayer has always been that he will fall madly and deeply in love with Jesus. We pray that he knows Jesus in this way not only so he will be saved, but so he can glorify God fully and know how to love and lead you and your children wholly.

I know that one of the reasons God saved Pierson is you. I don't know who you are, or if you've even been born yet. You may live down the street or around the world, but I've been praying for you since October 15, 2007 when we found out Pierson was on his way. We pray that God is preparing your heart for purity, passion and love. We pray that He is softening your heart for Jesus and that you will come to know Him at a young age. We pray for your parents, for their safety and health and that they may seek God's guidance in raising you.

I pray that you two will be blessed with children and I pray that they will be born healthy and always remain healthy. I pray that this isn't something you ever take for granted. I pray that you and Pierson will be able to minister to and support other couples who have sick or disabled children. I pray that this is just one of the many ways you will serve the Lord together.
I pray that every cardiology visit you go to with Pierson will remind you of how great our God is. I pray that God gives you knowledge of his heart condition so if the day comes where he needs a procedure or a surgery as an adult you will be able to fully communicate with the doctors and be an advocate for him. As much as I would love for this to be my responisibility forever I realize that when Pierson becomes an adult, and especially when he leaves our family to form his own with you, that it's something you two will take on together. His congenital heart defect won't just be his, it will also be yours. We will always be here to support you both along the way.

I pray that you will both be bold and courageous. I pray you will serve boldy, side by side. God has already used, and will continue to use Pierson's heart story for the Lord to open up doors to tell his story and of His greatness. Never be afraid to start a conversation or encourage someone who needs it.

As I write this I'm burdened that so many of our heart friends might not live to see their wedding days. Never take each other for granted. Life is so very short and every day is a gift. That's something that Pierson has taught us during his third year on earth with us. Treasure him. We're teaching him to treasure you. Never forget that God chose you two especially for each other to do life together. Things are not always going to be sunshine and roses. Remember how precious your lives are and how precious the gift of marriage is.

Be bold. Live for the Lord. Never take each other for granted. We serve a good God. A God who was big enough to make the Heavens and the Earth with his own two hands, and also took the time to create you two for each other.

Love,
Jane, Your Mother-in-Love

1 comment:

  1. You had me crying by the third sentence. I can imagine my mother in law writing this to me 29 years ago. I will always thank God for saving Chris and for making me his wife. Great blog post!

    ReplyDelete