Monday, October 1, 2012

Not Fair and Not Forsaken

This last week has been rough.
It's left me at points wanting to cross my arms and stomp my feet and yell "NOT FAIR NOT FAIR NOT FAIR!!!"
Pierson is doing great, but there have been other things that have broken our hearts.
First, a guy I used to broadcast with during my radio days was hit by a drunk driver head on. He was injured and his 24 year old girlfriend was killed. She was an only child.
Not fair.
Then, the younger brother of a friend of ours was killed. He was getting on the on ramp on the highway and something happened and he crashed his motor cycle on the highway. The next day I drove past where his bike had been traced with spray paint by the police for the investigation. It was downright chilling. Our friend's brother was in his early 20s too. We'll bury him tomorrow.
Not fair.
Some of you might remember our heart friend David that we asked you to pray for in July. He has HLHS and had the last of the three surgeries this specific CHD requires to be "repaired" in June. His condition continued to deteriorate to the point where he was evaluated for a heart transplant. Earlier this week they learned that David would not be a candidate for a heart transplant.
Not fair.
Through the week sweet David has continued to decline to the point where a palliative care cath lab procedure has been ruled out and he is being sent home on hospice to spend his final days surrounded by his family in the comfort of his home.
Double, triple, quadruple, wholly and completely, undeniably, TOTALLY UNFAIR!!! No one should have to take their child home to die because no child should have to die, especially not at 3.
Through this all, David's mom's words have been full of salt and light.
Their goal is to make memories with David, good ones. They are honoring and glorifying God and still praising Him in this violet unrelenting storm. It would be easy to be angry, bitter or get lost in grief or close everyone out, but that's not what they're doing. The situation sucks, bottom line, but they are choosing life in the face of death. They are incredible.
The general consensus of all of the heart parents we know is extreme sadness. I hate congenital heart disease. More than words can express, I deeply hate it. One of my friends and fellow heart moms found a creative and effective way to express the anger that so many of us are feeling. She smashed watermelons inscribed with not only CHDs but also other diseases and illnesses. I just about cried when I looked at the water melons ridden with disease and sadness, but I smiled when I saw them smashed. It reminded me of something. Jesus overcame all of these conditions and ultimately, death, when he died on the cross. If that's not your belief system, that's fine, but it is mine.


Those smashed watermelons with the diseases smashed to bits were symbolic to me. No matter what the doctors ever tell us about our kids, Jesus has already overcome. He hasn't left us or forsaken us. He even tells us that He's close to the broken hearted; which is a double entendre for heart families.
Please keep the family of all of the people I have mentioned in your prayers. They are all hurting so deeply right now.
It's times like this that I have to remember: Hard, horrible things happen. But God tells us He will not forsake us. It's a sweet and precioyspromise to remember when things seem so unfair.


Psalm 34:18 The LORD is close to the brokenhearted; he rescues those whose spirits are crushed.

Hebrews 13:5-6 “Never will I leave you;never will I forsake you.” So we say with confidence,
“The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid."


2 comments:

  1. Your words are straight from my soul.

    Honored to be part of this post, even if it was the slightly emotionally-imbalanced part :-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you can put the words that are in my heart on paper. You can sum it up perfectly. It is beautifully written.

    Thank you for sharing yourself with us.

    ReplyDelete