Sunday, June 26, 2011

Rest

This has been a good weekend. You can't go to doctor's offices or have appointments or work over the weekend so it gave us a chance to cool our jets. Our jets soooo needed some cooling. Our heavy hearts needed a break.
Saturday we got to do something we've been waiting to do for months. Months I tell you! Cars 2 came out which meant we got to take Pierson to his first movie. He was pretty excited about it and really enjoyed it. We really enjoyed it too. I kept looking over at him thinking how great it was to see him so happy and care free -- especially knowing what is just days ahead of us. This was something we have been looking forward to for so long. We had a lot planned this summer. Some things will still get to happen, some may not. We'll just have to see. But for that very moment everything was perfect and P was just another 3 year old boy Cars fanatic who was in Lightening McQueen and Tow Mater heaven.
P's first movie
Today we went to church. We so love our Sunday school class so much. The couples in our class are gifts from the Lord. We're very open and vulnerable with each other so I came prepared wearing waterproof mascara. We were supposed to lead the lesson today but our friends Holly and Sean came to the rescue. There was just no way we could prepare with such heavy hearts and even if we could get our act together I feel like the risk of me bursting in to tears would be extremely high.  We were greeted with hugs and then our precious friends laid hands on us and prayed over us. Holly did a recap about what had transpired the last few days for those who didn't know.  I love that we can cry in front of them with no pretenses. Our lead teacher's wife had a verse she shared with us and it touched us deeply. John 5 talks about how Jesus healed the man in Bethesda on the Sabbath. What Sherri brought to our attention and what really touched my heart was this part of the scripture in verses 15-17:
15-16The man went back and told the Jews that it was Jesus who had made him well. That is why the Jews were out to get Jesus—because he did this kind of thing on the Sabbath.
 17But Jesus defended himself. "My Father is working straight through, even on the Sabbath. So am I."
God gave us an opportunity to rest this weekend, yet God has not stopped working to care for and heal our little boy. He's hearing the sweet chorus of His people lifting Pierson and his heart up to our Father. God is working even as I write this. How great it our God? Our weary human minds and hearts needed a little rest this weekend. What incredible reassurance. We have to sleep... God's still working. We have to live life and prepare for this surgery and hospitalization... all the while God's still working. We're exhausted, God's still going strong. How perfect that we can rest because He never does.
The rest of our day was spent eating lunch with friends and swimming over at my parents. Restful. Perfect. A gift from our Father.
Tomorrow will not be filled with rest. I will be preparing to take my family medical leave from work  -- I have so much to do. It's not like when I went on maternity leave and had 9 months to plan and get my accounts ready. This is Jeff's busiest season at work so he's trying to get as much done as possible as well.
Aside from work, and where we need some serious prayers is for our appointment with our surgeon tomorrow. It's a 3 hour appointment. I can only imagine what all we will be going over. We have so many questions about P's surgery. Jeff watched a portion of the surgery on YouTube - I can't bring myself to do the same. After our surgery appointment is our appointment with the Child Life Specialists. We're very interested to see how they will tell him what's going on. We'll be paying close attention to how he reacts and feels. We're sure there will be homework for us to do too. We're all for it. Whatever helps P understand and not be scared is exactly what we want.
In my wildest dreams, I never imagined we would be here. Children's hospitals were for other people's poor sick kids, not ours. Yet now here we are. It's sad, and it's not where we planned on being - but it is where we are. But He has told us, He's still working. We believe this. What a blessing to have a Father who loves us without ceasing and works without ceasing. Thank you Lord.

5 comments:

  1. I'll be praying for your appointments tomorrow! My degree is in child life. They are going to be great at getting P informed as much as he can. They have awesome ways to prepare him for his surgery. Praying for y'all constantly....

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're praying for P's appt with the surgeon and the CLS! As terrifying as this all is, I'm sure that God is giving you the right surgeon and CLS for Pierson. I'm SURE he is in the right human hands... guided by God's hands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for y'all! I spoke to Julie this morning at church and let her know we were praying for Pierson and your family. So glad you were able to enjoy a restful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Jane. Try not to worry about P's reaction. Children do amazingly well with these kinds of things. They don't know it's not normal. It's the mom and dad that have trouble! If you are strong and positive, he will do great. I'm praying God will give you that peace that passes understanding. He's given it to me before when Jeffrey was a baby, and I KNOW it works!

    Love,

    Aunt Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love you, Jane, Jeff and Pierson.
    Jenny and Sarah

    ReplyDelete